Thursday, December 20, 2007

Learning to order Chinese

Couple of new things: 1: My wonderful friends in IT have supplied me with a 'new' Heroes episode - 'Season 00 Episode 00' - its apparently about little moments inbetween that never got aired! Can't wait to snuggle up with T tonight and watch it!
2: Just got back from my 'meeting' - my friend loves the pics and wouldn't change anything - brilliant! Totally relieved plus got another boost of creative energy! Have a feeling i'm gonna be spewing 'em out today! ;)
3: We had lunch at a chinese restaurant. Ah! Love the whole feel of chopsticks, elaborate chinese dragons on the walls in red and gold, and soothing chinese violin melodies playing softly in the background. Then came the menu. Now here's me, trying to learn from past mistakes. I decide to order a starter since main meals are usually huge and looking at the prices a starter (usually the size of a normal meal) would do just fine. 'Shrimp Chips' .. hm, that sounds yummy. Somewhere in my mind I have a vague idea of a french frie / shrimp mixture.Ii order a large portion, just to make sure its 'meal-size'. now those of you who know what's coming - contain your laughter! They bring me a plate piled with chips. As in packet crisp type things. Large and puffy, like cheese puffs, and in interesting, see-foody colours. Hmm. Ok, this is not what I had in mind at all! Feeling slightly foolish and completely un-cultured I'm off to find a menu. I check the starters again, since I've already got the 'chips' on my bill now. The only thing that looks satisfying as a 'not-too-big-not-too-small' meal is Steamed Dumplings. Ok, dumplings it is. Once again those of you sniggering to yourselves - contain it! I traipse back to the table, satisfied with my choice, until I get them. The dumplings. Four of them. Each the size of half-a-meatball. Nicely packed in a little square on a plate the size of a teacup saucer.
I have to say that after snacking some of the 'shrimp chips' and nibbling on my dumplings, I'm actually surprisingly satisfied. So here are my 3 beautiful things for the day:

1. I had lunch in a very lovely chinese restaurant and, although I didn't get to feel all fancy with my chopsticks I learned something new about chinese food.

2. I had a successful reaction to my drawings and am, for the first time in ages, totally inspired.

3. As my friend M so rightly pointed out: I am healthy; I have gone through the day so far without any accidents; I am loved - by many people; I have all my limbs; I get to go home to a comfortable flat and a loving fiance; I get to live in a country that is not ravaged by war; I have a holiday to look forward to; I have an education and a degree thanks to my father; because of said degree I got a good job shortly after college and my opinion is respected (because the degree says I'm supposed to know I guess); ... as M said - there's so much to be thankful for, why do we have to employ brainpower to list only three?! Its time to be more positive and thankful!

No comments: